Friday, March 11, 2011

Making the boots

The boots were easier to do than I thought, thanks to Biker Scout Boot Tutorial and lots of Selley's Shoe glue.  The hardest part was to find a pair of tan soled boots that would fit me.  I tried every place that sold shoes that I could find between Devonport, Launceston and Hobart.  I could find nothing that wasn't in size mens 10 or greater, and they were old stock in Target.  The fashion for chunky tan soles on boots is over, or at least in Tasmania.

I did have a pair of old army JP's, which has a solid coloured sole, rather than a semi-opaque one that most people use, making it look darker, especially in the photos against the white vinyl.  With nothing else fitting, I have gone with them.  They just look like a dirty tan boot in real life, so I hope it will be ok.  I have seen some Scouts use a deep brown soled boot and they have passed...  So fingers crossed.

Here is how the build went...

The boots before...  I cleaned them up with oil and wax remover so that the glue would bond better to the surface.

I made a template then cut the tips from the vinyl.  To heat the boots and vinyl up for shaping I put them in oven at 50°C.  Once shaped and cooled, I glued on the vinyl and then the trim.
Checking the upper paper template prior to cutting the vinyl.
Vinyl cut.
The back of the vinyl with marking on which side it is.
Top part is now seamed, and Velcro added. Ready to glue!
Velcro back.
White laces I bought as to lace the upper part of the boot but making sure the laces won't shine through the vinyl.
Top part now glued & riveted.
Flap is added. Boots complete!
Trying on my new boots over my jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment